For the Pound Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the Glaze
1 1/5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of lemon zest
- Pinch of fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Thoroughly grease a large loaf pan with softened butter. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, zest and thyme in a mixing bowl. Whisk thoroughly to combine. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and eggs. Beat on medium-speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the lemon juice, yogurt and olive oil. Beat on low-speed to thoroughly mix them together. Then increase the speed and beat until it looks slightly emulsified.
- With the beater on lowest speed, add the flour mixture, a little at a time, and mix until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix until all the ingredients are incorporated. Do not over-mix the batter. Batter will be slightly thick.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Tap the pan on your counter a couple times to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, rotating the pan midway through the baking time. A toothpick inserted in the cake should come out almost clean.
- Remove cake pan from oven and rest on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Then, gently invert cake on to a platter and back on to the wire rack so that it can cool completely.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a thick glaze. Add a few tablespoons of lemon juice, zest and thyme leaves, if desired.
- Pour glaze over the cake once it’s completely cooled, and allow the excess glaze to drip down the sides. The glaze will harden slightly as it sits. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.