- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 4 1/2 cups (540g) all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugars on medium-high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy and a pale color, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Mix in the eggs (one at a time) and molasses, and beat on medium-low speed until each is combined. Gradually add in the dry ingredient mixture in three additions and beat until just evenly incorporated.
- Transfer the dough to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until the dough is completely chilled.
- Once the dough is chilled and firm, use a medium cookie scoop to make evenly sized balls. Fill a separate small bowl with sugar, and roll each ball in the sugar until it is completely coated. Place dough balls on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, until the cookies begin to slightly crack on top. They should be soft in the middle but have crisp edges. Remove from the oven and let cool for 4-5 minutes. Then transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.