- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, about 1 large orange
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice, about 1 large orange
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed and sliced
For the Icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, about 1/2 an orange
- 1/2 Tbsp orange zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan and line with parchment. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the cranberries and sugar. Add the orange zest and rub together with your fingers until the sugar is fragrant.
- Add the milk, melted butter, vanilla, orange juice and eggs. Stir together with a spatula or large spoon until fully mixed.
- In two additions, add the dry mixture to the wet mixture. Fold in with a spatula just until incorporated between each addition. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until light golden brown on top and a knife inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs (no wet batter).
- Cool the cake in the pan for 30 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the icing, whisk together the powdered sugar, orange juice, and zest until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake.
- Slice and enjoy!