The Pound Cake
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, plus 4 egg yolks, room temperature
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp coconut extract (optional)
Zest of 1 1/2 limes
1 cup shredded coconut
½ cup coconut milk, room temperature
1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5″ loaf pan with butter and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. About 4-5 minutes.
- Add the sugar slowly to the butter with the mixer on medium low. Mix until incorporated.
- Add the eggs and egg yolks, one at time until fully incorporated. Scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the vanilla, lime zest, and coconut extract, mixing until well combined.
- Beat the mixture until light and fluffy on medium to medium high speed, about 1-2 minutes. This step incorporates a bit of air into the batter and will result in a lighter cake.
- Add the flour to the egg mixture (on low speed) in two additions, alternating with the milk. Begin and end with the flour mixture. Once incorporated, gently fold in the shredded coconut.
- Once combined, pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan using an offset spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes, checking the cake at 50 minutes. If the top is browning too quickly, cover the top loosely with aluminum foil. Once a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then, gently invert the pound cake onto a cooling rack, adjust it right-side up, and allow to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cool, make the icing. In a small mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vanilla, and lime juice. Mix until well combined and smooth, and pour over the top of the pound cake.
- Slice and enjoy!